The main objective of this particular session is to help you understand what bipolar disorder is and how you can help employees who are dealing with it. By the end of the session, you will be able to understand what bipolar disorder is, know the causes and symptoms, understand how it can affect work, know what the law says, and learn how to manage employees with bipolar disorder.
Why “Bipolar Disorder” Matters:
- More than 6 million American adults suffer with bipolar disorder.
- Surveys show that 90% of those who suffer from bipolar disorder say the illness affects their work performance.
- Bipolar disorder is a serious mental illness that causes people to have severe mood swings.
- Bipolar disorder can have many symptoms that can affect an employee’s effectiveness at work.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) laws may apply to employees who suffer from bipolar disorder.
- As a supervisor, it’s important that you know about bipolar disorder and the tools you can use to help employees who may suffer from bipolar disorder.