The main objective of this session is to help you learn how important it is to work safely in excavations or trenches. At the end of the training session, you will understand preventive measures required by law, your role in working safely, your employer’s obligations to protect you, hazardous atmospheres, and types of protective systems.
Why “Excavation Safety for Construction Workers” Matters:
- At least 97 people are killed each year as a result of excavation accidents, and at least 73 die in cave-ins.
- Struck-by accidents from falling loads, materials, or equipment are extremely serious.
- The fatality rate for excavation work is 112% higher than the rate for general construction.
- A competent person must test any excavation deeper than 4 feet.
- Prevention is key to safely working in excavations and trenches.
- You should know and follow safe work practices.
- Your employer should protect you from cave-ins and other hazards.
- You have a role in your own safety.