The main objective of this session is to help you understand workplace security issues so that you can contribute to making the workplace more secure. By the time the session is over, you will be able to identify security risks; understand security policy and procedures; contribute to workplace security; help protect guests and patrons; take effective action to ensure personal security; and act swiftly to report any security breaches, threats, or problems.
Why “Security for the Hospitality Industry” Matters:
Examples of breaches in security within the hospitality industry include:
- Theft of money, inventory, or personal belongings of employees, guests, and patrons;
- Armed robbery to steal cash and other valuables;
- Burglary, which may involve breaking into the establishment when it is closed or breaking into guests’ rooms in a hotel to steal valuables;
- Violence against employees, guests, or patrons committed by employees, guests, patrons, or others; and
- Other threats, such as bomb threats and hazardous substances sent though the mail.
- You play an important role in workplace security.
- Make sure you are familiar with your organization’s security policy and procedures.
- Take effective action to protect guests and patrons as well as your personal security.
- Keep alert and report any security breaches, threats, or problems.