The main objective of this session is to help you understand the impact of substance abuse in the workplace and to suggest ways that you can help us deal with this serious problem.
Course Duration: 18 minutes
Why “Substance Abuse in the Workplace: What Employees Need to Know (Multimedia)” Matters:
- Substance abuse threatens the productivity, safety, and security of our workplace and employees.
- Working under the influence of alcohol or drugs seriously impairs a person’s ability to perform the job well and safely.
- Never ignore a substance abuse problem—take prompt action to solve it.
- It’s been estimated that substance abuse costs U.S. businesses more than $50 billion every year—and that figure could really be even higher.
- Studies show that alcohol and drug abusers are generally far less productive, make more mistakes, and take three times as many sick days as other employees.
- Abusers are three to four times more likely to have an accident on the job than other workers, and they are five times more likely to file workers’ compensation claims.
- Surveys repeatedly indicate that substance abuse is a widespread and persistent problem in plants and offices across the country. It’s estimated that 10 percent of all U.S. workers have a substance abuse problem. In fact, the number could be much higher.
- Some 73 percent of all current illegal drug users are employed. Over 6 million active alcoholics are employed.
- Sixty percent of workers say they know someone who has reported for work under the influence of alcohol.