This training session on defensive driving has been designed for drivers of commercial motor vehicles, or CMVs. CMVs are vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating, or GVWR, or a gross combined weight rating, or GCWR, of 10,001 pounds or more combined cargo and vehicle. Every year, CMV operators log millions of miles on the road. They are a vital part of the economy. The safe operation of CMVs ultimately falls to you as an operator.
Why “Defensive Driving: Commercial Motor Vehicles (Spanish)” Matters:
At the completion of this module, the participant will be able to:
- Recognize the hazards of operating commercial motor vehicles.
- Respond appropriately to dangerous conditions, and react in time to avoid an accident
- Perform required inspections and maintenance on your vehicle.
- Reduce your risk of an accident by understanding fatigue and avoiding drug use.
- Inspect and maintain your vehicle;
- Know driving hazards and dangerous conditions;
- Become a proud defensive driver;
- Wear your seat belt;
- Follow safe driving practices in all driving conditions;
- Keep your lights on and use turn signals; and
- Know how to respond to emergencies.