Defensive Driving: Commercial Motor Vehicles
This training session on defensive driving has been designed for drivers of commercial motor vehicles, or CMVs. CMVs are vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating, or GVWR, or a gross combined weight rating, or GCWR, of 10,001 pounds or more combined cargo and vehicle. Every year, CMV operators log millions of miles on the road. They are a vital part of the economy. The safe operation of CMVs ultimately falls to you as an operator.
Course Duration: 28 minutes
Why “Defensive Driving: Commercial Motor Vehicles” Matters:
- There are around 5,000 CMV-related fatalities, and only 14% of these fatalities occurred to the truck occupants.
- There are more than 120,000 CMV-related injuries, and only 20% of injuries occurred to the truck occupants.
- More than 650 truck drivers die on the job, representing 12% of all types of workplace deaths, the most fatalities of any single job title or occupation.
- Truck drivers have more nonfatal injuries than workers in any other occupation. Half of the nonfatal CMV driver injuries are serious sprains and strains, and the other injuries are bruises, fractures, cuts and lacerations, soreness, and multiple trauma.
- At the completion of this module, the participant will be able to
Recognize the hazards of operating commercial motor vehicles.
Respond appropriately to dangerous conditions, and react in time to avoid an accident.
Perform required inspections and maintenance on your vehicle.
Reduce your risk of an accident by understanding fatigue and avoiding drug use.