The objective of this training session is to help you understand the qualification requirements that apply to you as the driver of a commercial motor vehicle. By the end of this session, you should have a good understanding of what the driver qualification requirements are and how to comply with them, what your driver qualification file is and what it contains, and the investigations your motor carrier is required to perform both during the hiring process and while you are employed as a CMV driver.
Why “Driver Qualifications (INT)” Matters:
- In order to drive a commercial motor vehicle, or CMV, you must meet certain requirements set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA.
- These are known as the driver qualification, or DQ, requirements. Their purpose is to make sure that all drivers of CMVs are physically capable of doing so and have the knowledge and skills to operate a CMV safely.
- Both CMV drivers and motor carriers that employ them have responsibilities under the DQ requirements.
- Understand the driver qualification requirements so that you know what your rights and responsibilities are as the driver of a CMV.
- Understand motor carriers also have responsibilities under the DQ requirements, and we will cover those as well so that you know what to expect from your employer.
- Know what the DQ requirements are and how to comply with them, what your DQ file is and what it contains.
- Understand the employment application process, and the investigations your motor carrier is required to perform both during the hiring process and while you are employed as a CMV driver.