The main objective of this session is to help you handle medical waste safely and dispose of it properly. By the time the session is over, you should be able to understand medical waste risks, identify types of medical waste, handle wastes safely and dispose of them properly, take appropriate steps to prevent exposures, and report exposures and get a medical evaluation.
Why “Handling Medical Waste” Matters:
- Healthcare facilities generate and dispose of vast amounts of waste materials that may be hazardous to employee health. These medical wastes can cause infection or disease.
- Some of the material disposed of by healthcare facilities may contain hazardous substances.
- Medical waste can be hazardous to employee health.
- How to handle and dispose of it properly.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) whenever there is a risk of exposure.
- Wash carefully after handling medical waste.
- Finally, report any exposures and get a medical evaluation.