Hazmat Transportation: Security Awareness
The Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements at 49 CFR 172.704 Subpart H are designed to enhance the security of hazardous materials transported in commerce. As part of these requirements, shippers and carriers of certain hazardous materials must develop and implement security plans. Also, all shippers and carriers of hazardous materials must ensure that their employee training programs include a component on security. This course covers Hazmat transportation security awareness training.
Course Duration: 24 minutes
Why “Hazmat Transportation: Security Awareness” Matters:
- Every day, 800,000 hazardous material shipments take place in the United States.
- Employees must be able to identify potential security risks involving access to hazardous materials.
- It is important to know how to control access points to hazardous materials, maintain their security, and identify and handle suspicious personnel and activities.
- Employees must be aware of the security of both vehicles and hazardous materials being transported.
- If secure conditions are not maintained, either authorized or unauthorized employees can sabotage a tank, railcar, or tank truck containing hazardous materials.
- Security is extremely important around hazardous materials.
- It’s your job to spot suspicious activities.
- Every employee plays a key role in keeping our facility safe and secure.