HAZWOPER: First Responder Awareness Level
Trainees will learn to understand their role as a first responder and the company’s emergency response plan; identify hazardous substances and know the risks if they are released or spilled; recognize a hazardous release or spill and potential outcomes; report the spill or release by calling for help, notifying others of the chemical spill or release, and helping coordinate an evacuation. Duration: 19 minutes.
Course Duration: 19 minutes
Why “HAZWOPER: First Responder Awareness Level” Matters:
- As a potential first responder, you should understand your role and the company’s emergency response plan.
- First responders training helps employees identify hazardous substances and know the risks associated with them if they are released or spilled.
- First responders training helps employees recognize a hazardous release or spill and potential outcomes.
- Reporting the spill or release by calling for help, notifying others of the chemical spill or release, and helping coordinate an evacuation of the area are vital for employee safety.
- Securing the area in order to prevent untrained, unauthorized people from going near the spill location ensures company safety after an incident.
- HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) is for facilities that store, handle, or use hazardous chemicals.
- Awareness-level first responders are trained to act only defensively.
- Recognize the chemicals used at your facility, learn about potential spill or release scenarios, and then learn how to identify chemical spills or releases.
- Evacuate others and yourself from the spill area. Remember to stay upwind of smoke and vapor clouds.
- Notify the spill response team. Do not attempt to control or contain the spill yourself because you are not properly trained.
- Secure the area around the spill to prevent unauthorized personnel from getting close to the spill.