The main objective of this session is to make sure that you know what you need to do to protect your safety and health on the job. By the time this session is over, you should be able to understand the Chemical Hygiene Plan, identify laboratory hazards, take proper precautions to protect yourself, and act effectively in an emergency.
Why “Laboratory Safety for Healthcare Workers” Matters:
- Laboratory work requires knowledge, skill, and attention to detail. Those qualities also have to be applied to operating safety. Laboratories have a variety of safety and health hazards.
- Conduct a risk assessment for each lab protocol you perform to determine the hazards you face;
- Select appropriate safety measures, such as engineering controls, PPE, and work practices, to eliminate or minimize risks;
- Maintain a safe laboratory environment at all times; and
- Be prepared to handle lab emergencies swiftly and effectively.