Personal protective equipment (PPE) provides a barrier between the human body and the hazards of working in a laboratory. The right PPE, properly used and maintained, can protect laboratory workers from the hazards involved in any task they perform. However, it is up to lab workers to take PPE requirements seriously and do all they can to protect themselves and work safely. The main purpose of this course is to familiarize laboratory personnel with the basics of PPE use in laboratory work. By the time the session is over, trainees should be able to:
- Recognize the benefits of PPE in the laboratory;
- Identify the items of PPE used in laboratory work;
- Recognize the importance of using PPE correctly;
- Learn how to properly care for and maintain your PPE; and
- Consistently use PPE to protect yourself from hazards.
Why “Laboratory PPE” Matters:
The purpose of PPE equipment is the same—to provide protection for every worker on an individual basis. But it is up to the person using the equipment to take personal responsibility for using PPE and to follow all policies and procedures concerning PPE for the equipment to be an effective protection method.
The main points about PPE in the laboratory include:
- PPE does not stand alone as a safety measure. It is part of a system of hazard controls.
- PPE provides personal protection for everyone at your facility.
- It is your responsibility to use PPE properly and consistently—that means on every operation, every day.