There are, on average, 150 deaths nationally in permit-required confined spaces every year, and in many of those cases, a would-be rescuer was a casualty. This module provides supervisors of permit-required confined spaces with information to help them ensure that rescue services are available and that the means to summon them are operable while entrants are in such a space. The module covers confined space operations in general industry workplaces.
- Recognize common permit-required confined space hazards and conditions that trigger rescue and emergency responses.
- Explain how to plan for the rescue of entrants.
- Recall the process to evaluate and select rescue and emergency services.
- Describe the process to verify that rescue and emergency services are available and the means to summon them are operable during an entry.
- Describe measures to prevent unauthorized personnel from attempting a rescue.