Serving Alcohol Responsibly
The main objective of this session is to help you serve alcohol responsibly under any circumstances. By the time the session is over, you will be able to understand why serving alcohol responsibly is so important; identify the effects of alcohol consumption; recognize intoxication when you see it; identify factors that affect intoxication; prevent intoxication and underage drinking; refuse service successfully; and document and report incidents involving intoxication and refusal of service.
Course Duration: 22 minutes
Why “Serving Alcohol Responsibly” Matters:
- Every day in America, another 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes. This amounts to one death every 48 minutes.
- According to some estimates, as many as half of drunk drivers got drunk in an establishment like yours that serves alcohol to the public.
- About one-third of all drivers arrested or convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol are repeat offenders.
- On average, one in three people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in his or her lifetime.
- You play an important role in preventing intoxication and underage drinking in your establishment.
- Failure to obey liquor laws governing alcohol could lead to personal liability and liability for your employer.
- Make sure you can recognize signs of intoxication and know how to handle the situation.
- Always check IDs to make sure you are not serving minors.
- Help create a relaxed, congenial atmosphere in your establishment that encourages responsible social drinking.
- Always document and report any incidents of intoxication or refusal of service.