By the time this session is over, you should be able to realize the risks; identify risk factors; understand the effects of workplace violence; take effective measures to prevent violence; recognize signs of impending violence; and protect yourself in violent situations.
Why “How to Prevent Workplace Violence—A Guide for Healthcare Workers” Matters:
- One-sixth of violent crimes occur in the workplace, and there are over 1.5 million incidents a year,
- Violence is a leading cause of workplace deaths- three workers die every day on the job in the United States,
- As many as 18,000 other workers are assaulted at work each week, and
- Violent incidents in the workplace often involve guns, which means the potential for serious injury or death is high.
- Be prepared to deal effectively with threats and incidents of violence on the job;
- Keep alert to signs of potential violence, and take immediate action when you recognize them;
- Be sure to follow security procedures and prevent situations that invite violence; and
- Report any threats, disturbing behavior, or violent incidents right away.