Working Safely Near Power Lines
The main objective of this session is to help you understand how important it is to work safely near power lines. This session is intended for general construction workers. At the end of the training session, you will be able to understand the major causes of power line-related accidents, identify dangers associated with power lines, find out what Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations say about power line safety, learn preventive measures to stay safe, and get some tips on what to do in case of an emergency.
Course Duration: 20 minutes
Why “Working Safely Near Power Lines” Matters:
- Use good judgment and safe work practices at all times
- Power line accidents involving construction workers stem from three main causes:
- 1. Unsafe equipment,
- 2. Unsafe environment, or
- 3. Unsafe work practices.
- Working near power lines is dangerous and requires extra diligence—Look up and look around before you begin.
- Know and follow all safety procedures.
- Wear the personal protective equipment (PPE) your employer has identified as essential for your safety.
- To be safe, assume power lines are energized.